VERB +GERUND /INFINITIVE

VERB +GERUND /INFINITIVE 


Using Gerunds or infinitives

Uso de Gerundios o infinitivos

One of the difficulties of the English language is to know whether to use a gerund  
(ex : doing) or an infinitive (ex : to do).
Generally speaking we can use the following rules:

Una de las dificultades del idioma inglés es saber si se usa un gerundio (por ejemplo, hacer) o un infinitivo (por ejemplo, para hacer). En términos generales, podemos usar las siguientes reglas:

Examples
Rules
Explanations
Verb + gerund
1. I enjoy playing
2. I denied stealing
Often we use the gerund for an action that happens before or at the same time as the action of the main verb.
1. I enjoy myself at the time of playing.
2. I deny having stolen anything before.
Verb + infinitive
1. I decided to visit my uncle
2. I want to go out
Often we use the infinitive for actions that follow the action of the main verb.
1. Visiting my uncle was an action of my decision. It comes after.
2. What I want (now) is to go out (after/later)
 Verbs commonly followed by a gerund

After verbs that express likes/dislikes :
Example:
" I like playing soccer but I hate boxing."
Note "like/love/hate..." can be also followed by an infinitive:
Examples:
I like to watch TV in the evening.
After adjectives:
Examples:
"I'm glad to know that you passed the exam."
"I'm pleased to meet you."
"I'm disappointed to hear that you flunked maths."


Comentarios

Entradas más populares de este blog

Was/were going to and was/were supposed to

SEPARABLE AND NON-SEPARABLE PHRASAL VERBS

SENSE, SENSITIVE AND SENSIBLE