Was/were going to and was/were supposed to


Was/were going to and was/were supposed  to

Function:
   
      1. We use going to in the past to talk about plans and intentions that didn’t happened.
     


     2. We use supposed to in the past to talk about things we were expected to do that we didn’t do. 



Form:
Was/were going to + base form
Was going to pay for them.
I was going to see what they looked like in daylight.
was/were supposed to
base form
You were supposed to for them before you left the store.
Examples:

ü  I was going to call you. We weren’t going to come but we changed our minds.
ü  You were supposed to copy Valerie in on all the emails.
ü  Wasn't going to go to the party(but I guess I will)
ü  I wasn't supposed to go by myself (but I'll have to).
ü  I wasn't going to go to the party(but I guess I would)
ü  I wasn't supposed to go by myself (but I would have to) They are future in the past.

Exescise:
Complete the sentences with was/were going to or  was/were supposed to.

   1. I was standing in line and I _____________ buy the Inception DVD, but I decided to put it down because I needed to save money.
   2.  I don't _____________________________ you could lend me some money, could you?
  3. I am not _____________________________ smoke here.This is a place for children.
   4.  _____________________________ you won the lottery, what would you buy?
  5.  I _____________________________ it will snow. Don't go out without a warm jacket.

Comentarios

Entradas más populares de este blog

SEPARABLE AND NON-SEPARABLE PHRASAL VERBS

SENSE, SENSITIVE AND SENSIBLE