SEPARABLE AND NON-SEPARABLE PHRASAL VERBS


Form:

With separable phrasal verbs, you can put a noun between the verb and the participle. With non-separable phrasal verbs, you can`t.

With separable phrasal verbs, we always separate the verb and the participle  when the object is a pronoun (you, it, them, etc.).
Form
Estructure
Example

Separable
phrasal verbs

Verb + participle + noun
Verb + noun / pronoun + participle
I don`t have to write down the information.

I don`t have to write the information down.
Non-separable
phrasal verbs
Verb + participle (+ preposition) + noun / pronoun
I didn`t get along with my colleagues.


Non-separable phrasal verbs
Run into
This phrasal verb means to meet someone by chance when you were not expecting to. The object (who we met) must always come at the end!
Examples:

Ø  This is such a big city! I'm always amazed when I run into someone I know on the street.
Ø  Melanie said she ran into Mrs. Dawson last week. Do you remember her? Our fifth grade English teacher!
Ø  I hope I run into Dr. Borelli at the conference. It would be really interesting to talk about his latest research.



























Separable Phrasal Verbs
Make up
This phrasal verb means to invent a story or an excuse. We use it when someone has invented a story that is not true.
The story or excuse can come in the middle of the verb or at the end since this phrasal verb is separable.
Examples:

Ø  The children in my afternoon class make up the most wonderful stories when we have story time! They are very creative.
Ø  I just can't stand Wanda! She always has some excuse for arriving late, but I think she makes them up.
Ø  Talking to Susan is so much fun. Maybe she makes up half her stories, but they're entertaining anyway.


Comentarios

Entradas más populares de este blog

Was/were going to and was/were supposed to

SENSE, SENSITIVE AND SENSIBLE