VERBS WITH STATIVE AND DYNAMIC USES




Some verbs are rarely used in progressive forms. They are called stative verbs because they usually refer to states or conditions that continue over a period of time, for example, know, prefer or agree. However, some stative verbs commonly have both stative and dynamic uses, with different menanings. 



Form

Stative
(simple verb form)
Dynamic use
(Progressive verb form)
Be
Permanent state, general truth.
Lupita is married
Acting, behaving.
Michael is being really weird.
Have
Possession, characteristics.
I have five minutes before class starts.
Causing, experiencing.
I´m having problems with my car.
See
Notice, observe, and understand.
Do you see what I mean?
Meet or date.
They´ve been seeing each other for a while.
Think
Have an opinion.
I think it’s a good idea. 
The process of thought.
I was thinking about it all day




Examples

Stative
(simple verb form)
Dynamic use
(Progressive verb form)

Be

He's an excellent guitarist.





You are not being serious!





Have

He has a beautiful car.





He's having lunch.





See


I see what you mean.









He's been seeing the same woman for eight years.





Think


I think it's a fantastic idea.





I am thinking about my friend.










Exercises: 

     1.   Susanna _______anyone now, or are you single?
     2.  Paul and I ______ really happy in our new home.
     3.  I ____at the news paper.
     4.  You ____ annoying
     5.           I ____ a good time.

Comentarios

Entradas más populares de este blog

Was/were going to and was/were supposed to

SEPARABLE AND NON-SEPARABLE PHRASAL VERBS

SENSE, SENSITIVE AND SENSIBLE