WISH AND IF ONLY REGRETS

WISH AND IF ONLY REGRETS
Function
We use wish/if only+ past perfect to talk about things we would like to change about the past.
  •                        To express a regret.
  •                     The action is past. 
Form
Wish/if only+ past perfect
Subject + wish + past perfect
I wish I had learned to play a musical instrument when I was younger.
I wish I had been more adventures.
I definitely wish I hadn’t smoked
If only + subject + past perfect
If only I had change careers years ago.
If only he would stop talking while I´m driving.
If only they didn’t live so far away.

     Examples:
©   Any wishes he´d eaten a healthy diet.
©    I wish I hadn’t argued with my friend.
©    I wish I had a best work.
©    I wish I hadn’t studied in other university.
©    My parents wish they hadn’t driven to Florida. 
z If only I hadn’t eaten a huge breakfast this morning.
z If only I had worked hard in school.
z If only I hadn’t smoking started.
z If only you would worn a warmer coat.
z If only he would stop talking while I´m driving. 

Exercise: 

    Look at each situation and decide if it describes a past or a present situation. Then write a sentence using "wish".
         Principio del formulario
     1. I am not very tall.
     taller.
2. I didn't learn English when I was younger.
     when I was younger.
3. I can't speak perfect English.
     perfect English.
4. My hair isn't blonde.
     hair.
5. My tennis serve is useless.
    .
6. I didn't sleep very well last night.
     well last night.
7. I got really badly sunburnt on the beach yesterday because I forgot my sun-cream.
     my sun-cream yesterday.
8. My nose is too big.
    .
9. I'm not the best student in the class.
     student in my class.
10. I didn't go out with my friends to the disco-bar last night.
     with my friends to the disco-bar last night.
11. My neighborhood is terribly noisy at night.
     at night.
12. I have to get up early every day.
    .
Final del formulario



Comentarios

Entradas más populares de este blog

Was/were going to and was/were supposed to

SEPARABLE AND NON-SEPARABLE PHRASAL VERBS

SENSE, SENSITIVE AND SENSIBLE